Friday, January 14, 2011

Second Blog on Bullying

Back in November 2010, I wrote a blog about bullies and anonymous personal attacks that don't have any redeeming value to the opinion expressed in a blog. Here's what I said back on November 28th and it is worth repeating again:

Listen to talk radio, read political blogs or comments on newspaper articles, watch TV commentators and you see all of them personally attacking someone. It's OK to opine about policy and actions of others, but when the criticism becomes personal or discriminatory without basis or facts, it becomes mean, if not downright slanderous at times.

It’s too easy to spew personal hatred, intolerance and discrimination when writers are anonymous and don’t have the courage to identify themselves. Anonymity is one thing but when it is used to personally attack someone, say discriminatory things or spew untruths, it goes too far.

Is it too much to ask that people act like civilized human beings? Bullies never sign their name.


I encourage comments on my opinions. That is the fun side of writing a blog. It is always interesting to read concurring or differing opinions on a subject I write about in a blog. I don't care if someone disagrees with me. I don't even care if you give your name or write anonymously.  I like a good argument. What I am not going to allow on my blog is for some anonymous person to write personal attacks, whether it is about me or person(s) that may be the subject of my blog.

Take notice you anonymous people who think it is OK to write personal attack comments that have no relevance to the topic at hand. Bullies do not get to participate freely and anonymously on Jennifer's Musings. The delete button is the option of the writer and I intend to use it when people misbehave on my blog and do not adhere to my standard of civilized conduct. 

1 comment: