Monday, November 1, 2010

Trick or Treats

I struggle with the whole concept of Halloween. It is now called a holiday.  A holiday to me is the Fourth of July, Veterans Day, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, not Halloween.  I am trying to decide if my feelings are just the product of my advancing age. There are so many organized activities for children these days that the art of house to house trick or treating is slowly dying.  I am not sure that is all bad. Kudos to the Empire Mall and the County Courthouse Museum for all they do for little ghouls and goblins.

I had two experiences last night that kind of stand out.  A group of teenage girls came to my door. The three of them were totally costumed out in princess dresses, wigs, the whole thing.  They said they were not there for candy but were asking for canned food for the Food Pantry.  I thought that was a nice touch.  Then I opened the door to a teenage boy dressed head to toe in black regular clothes, not a costume.  I was kind of taken aback and waited for him to say something.  He said trick or treat and then said he was collecting candy for the troops.  I slowly said OK and put a handful of candy in his knap sack.  Then he said he was taking cash donations for Second Chance Rescue.  I said no to that.  Now, he may have been on the up and up but frankly, I was skeptical. It is kind of sad that I am skeptical but teenagers at my door to trick or treat seems out of place.  Trick or treating used to be for young children.  Every year I see less and less young children and more and more teenagers.  I don't like the trend. 

Frankly, if it weren't for my grandson Finn who comes to my house and wants to walk around the neighborhood in his Buzz Lightyear costume, I wouldn't even turn on my house lights.  I hate to say it but I am so over Halloween. Then my grandson says to me as he was leaving last night - Grandma, be sure to lock the door so the ghosts and aliens don't get you. Out of the mouth of a little boy who loves the spirit of Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment