- Lewis and Clark Federal Funding in Jeopardy
- Tobacco Revenue Down.
- 10% Cut in Teacher Salaries
- Banquet Food Supplies Dwindle
- Video Lottery Revenue Down
- 46% of school age children eligible for free or reduced school lunches in Sioux Falls
- Education funding cut
- South Dakota population aging yet South Dakota first froze then cut Medicaid payments to nursing homes.
- For the first time in nearly two years, the overall Business Conditions Index for a nine-state region of the Midwest and Plains has taken a negative turn.
- Decline in out-of-state residents moving to the area blamed partly on the economy.
- Construction spending in the United States was down 1.3 percent in September compared with September 2010, down $10 Billion for the year, according to the Associated General Contractors of America.
- Two Minnehaha County towns will reduce the number of hours they contract for sheriff protection because money isn’t available to pay for more service.
- A long standing Sioux Falls manufacturing company will close for good early next year, resulting in 77 jobs cuts.
- Minnehaha County has budget problems.
- Many consumers are anxious about their jobs; angry about their salaries and increased workloads; upset about climbing health care costs; and worried about their mortgages.
- Minnehaha County employees take a 5% pay cut.
- Sioux Area Metro Transit facing possible federal subsidy shortfall.
Saturday, November 5, 2011
All you have to do is look at the headlines and then wonder about priorities in this community.